Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Food Slut and Politics

Bart, responsible for my graphic/web design and harassing me as needed, recently called me a food slut and he's right - offer me some yummy tid-bit or the chance to try a new wine and I'm yours, at least for as long as the glass or meal lasts.

It doesn't have to be haute cuisine, just really good. I'm as happy with a plate of beans and rice smothered in spicy green chili at my favorite dive in Denver as I am with Jeff's crab cakes at the Silver Grille.

Food is life, so it might as well be damn good... the better you eat, the better your life. I find so much pleasure in cooking and sharing delicious meals with friends, it does improve my quality of life.

I want my food tasty and local. Eating local and in season is getting a lot of press these days for good reason. I will spare you my produce crate (soap box), except to say I've been eating mostly from local farmers for the past 5 years and I love it. Fresh tomatoes in January... haven't had one in years, but my freezer is stocked with bags of Bill's tomatoes waiting for soups or sauce. Bill's basil is also in little jars of frozen pesto waiting to brighten the same soups or sauce, and Annette's berries are right there too for oatmeal, pancakes or a crisp. In my garage are a few squash and a box of onions and shallots from the last days of the farmers market. Eating local is easy most of the year, but takes a bit of preparation for winter... so worth it knowing the fruits of my friends labor are still nourishing me on a gray winter evening.

This variety of food politics has recently been given a name, locavore - eating only what's grown within a 100 mile radius. Does this mean all locavores are food sluts? Probably not, but I bet there aren't many who would turn down a bite of local cheese and a chance to talk about food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home