Thursday, February 08, 2007

Rise and Shine

I'm not a fan of getting up any too early, especially in the dark winter months, but there are days when it can't be avoided. Yesterday I was resisting - I was so cozy in bed and it was still dark out. But, I needed to take the dogs for a quick run before some early morning meetings. I should know better... there is no such thing as a quick run when you're on a tight schedule. You never know what you'll run into, but there's usually something.

So out the door we went with hardly a hint of light in the sky. Once we were out the gate, Bogart and Eloise began sniffing and circling the field wildly (please, no deer to chase or skunks to mess with). As the light began to come up over the hill, they started running full force and I could see what they were on to... a herd of 40-50 elk about 150 yards away. I started to yell "come" and "leave it", but that's just stupid - why would you come when there's a herd of elk right in front of you!

The elk began to move and I thought for sure the dogs would be chasing a stampede all the way to the woods (no short run on a tight schedule), but then the elk stopped. The dogs ran right up to them, probably said "good morning" and started back. The elk just watched and didn't move until I got within 50 yards.

This morning I saw a lone coyote crossing the field as we returned from a long walk. Both sightings were well worth getting out of bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home