Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sinful Spring Soup

Ok don't give me shit. I'm horrible about keeping up with the blog, but there's really no need to post about procrastinating taxes, muddling through office work and trying to keep the house clean (mud season, two dogs and me). The dead of winter doesn't leave a lot to write about. But the seasons are trying to change (we haven't quite made it yet) and I'm feeling a bit chipper.

This weekend the rains blew in with a flurry and it would have felt like winter again, but the tulips and daffodils are showing their shining faces and the produce department at my local grocer is displaying spring fare. Unfortunately asparagus and artichokes aren't in season here yet.

Eating local is a breeze at the peak of summer harvest and I can get myself through most of winter on produce I've frozen (tomatoes, berries, corn, etc) and those that keep well (onions and various squash), but I made the last of my tomatoes into sauce a few weeks ago and the last winter squash finally rotted. I was in serious need of a change in diet, so I caved when I saw the thin spears of California asparagus in the store. A little chat with produce manager, John, and I came up with this delicious soup - sinful, as it didn't come from a local farm, but hearty enough for a meal and brimming with sweet spring flavor:

Sinful Spring Soup
1 large baking potato
1 pound thin asparagus
2 large leeks, white and light green parts sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
tarragon
vegetable broth
half and half
olive oil and/or butter
salt, pepper and ground nutmeg to season

Bake the potato and set aside to cool slightly. Toss the asparagus spears with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes, turning every so often, until they begin to brown, but are still bright green. Meanwhile, saute leeks and garlic in olive oil or butter. Add a Tbsp of tarragon and 1 cups broth. Simmer on low.

Chop the cooked asparagus, reserving heads, and place in blender. Scoop cooked potato and add to blender with 1 cup broth and 1/4 cup half and half. Puree. Add to soup pan with reserved asparagus heads. Add more broth or half and half to desired constancy and season with salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg. Enjoy!

If you're lucky enough to have asparagus in season now, eat all you can, any way you can. If you're like me, make this soup once to get a spring veggie fix and wait for the real deal from your local farm stand or market.

2 Comments:

Blogger High Desert Diva said...

Welcome back to blogging...you've been missed.

Although I'm sure this soup is delicious (since you made it) I'll pass. Asparagus is one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. (and yes, I know I'm in the minority here)

Give those muddy dogs a hug for me!

cheers!

6:54 PM  
Blogger trina said...

I should have known you weren't a fan of little miss asparagus (love her or hate her). Dogs return the hug - Eloise came inside the past two days covered from head to toe in mud. I assume she's digging for gophers (or trying desperately to get to China),and while I hate to think of her killing anything, better her than me when it comes to rodents.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home