Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lula Belle

Last night I stopped to feed the goats on the way back from a walk with the dogs. As I was putting down grain dishes, I noticed Lula Belle was missing. I'd remembered seeing her grazing by the fence that morning so she couldn't be far. Upon further investigation, I found her in the exact spot, but she wasn't grazing - her head was stuck between the wires in the fence. Poor thing, she'd gotten her head and horns thru the same small hole and couldn't get out. And no matter what, I couldn't twist her head in the right way to pull her out either.

I went back to the shop, got some tools and returned to cut her out. As I began to work, she began to chew on my pant leg - I realized she'd probably been stuck there over night and was starving (well as starving as an overfed goat can be). 45 minutes with a hack saw (steel rod fencing doesn't want to be cut with a pair of wire cutters), sawing a little to close to her head for comfort, and I was able to open the fence enough to free her. Surprisingly she didn't seem any worse for wear and was back in the shed just in time for another hail storm. Lula Belle is the most mild mannered one of the bunch, but is usually the one to get herself into a bind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home