Friday, May 11, 2007

Bull Headed Blonde

Earlier this week I mentioned to a friend that I was kind of bull headed, as if it was something he might not know. Nick probably fell off his chair laughing - who would have guessed!

And as if I need to prove this, I'm giving myself brain damage trying to fix my farm truck. Minnie Pearl is a '72 Jeep J-10 and she has a few issues. This week, namely that she wont start. I think its the ignition switch so off I go to the auto parts store. The guy there tells me it could be the solenoid and I should check that first. Who knows what a solenoid is... he tells me where to find it, how to check it and sells me some light rod tester. No problem. But the picture in the manual looks differnt than what's in my truck - I test what I think is the solenoid, which upon further discussion with the auto parts guy turns out to be the coil and I'm testing it backward. He's getting a good laugh and suggests I may need some help. Really, I don't think so. I finally test the right part and it doesn't seem to be working, so I replace it.

The darn truck still doesn't start. So I call my uncle in CO for some advice. Yes, it definitely could be the ignition switch and he tells me how to check it. I have no idea if I'm checking it correctly - by the time I'm under the dash, I've muddled his instructions in my head. And, there are a heck of a lot of wires running into that switch. We'll give it another go this afternoon... now it seems to be a personal challenge to figure it out. Or, I'll get it towed to Matthew who could fix it in an hour. But why do that when I should be able to do it myself.

I have a feeling the Chilton's manual is about to become bedtime reading and that I'll be signing up for auto shop at the high school (do ya think they'll let me?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home