Monday, February 26, 2007

Neighbors

Neighbors - in the country you hope for good ones as you're bound to depend on them at some point for something. When things are sailing along, you might share a beer or a glass of wine on the spur of the moment. Other times, someone may just pop by to say hi. But when you're in a pinch, a good neighbor is worth his weight in gold.

Over the years my neighbors have taught me what kind of fuel to use on a burn pile (diesel, not gas), which side of the fence post to run the fencing (inside, not out), how to burn a field (against the wind) and how to run a chain saw. They've given me their wine, a burn barrel (hmmm, fire theme) and friendship. They've helped me and I've helped them.

But this week I was flabbergasted (don't get to use that word much). Melissa knew I was working on a kitchen remodel. Bill was on his way up from San Fran. Out of the blue he offered to haul up and install some inexpensive, but very nice granite slabs. Really - why? Just cuz he wanted to... how nice! Shall we say the kitchen project is off to a great start!

My neighbors are more than folks that live near me, they're my friends.

The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it. - Emerson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home